Monday, July 29, 2013

Creator: Dale Enzenbacher




I was introduced to the work of Dale Enzenbacher in the mid-1970s at the dealers room of the San Diego Comic-Con when it was at the El Cortez Hotel. His art is truly remarkable. At the time all I could afford to buy were the belt buckles you see above. A folded handout was available at his table. Below are a detail of one side; the full image on the other side; and all the text and images on the inside.





For more information on Enzenbacher, see Starlog #25, August 1979, page 17, “SF in Bronze: The Mad Sculptor of San Francisco” by Bob Woods, which can be read at the Internet Archive.

Enzenbacher was a member of the Merry Marvel Marching Society (M. M. M. S.). His misspelled last name appeared in Kid Colt #126, January 1966.



(Next post on Monday: Kalogramas and Kalogram)

7 comments:

  1. I am so lucky to have many works by Dale Enzenbacher...Love the above piece...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too. Has anyone spoken to him lately and has anyone attempted to catalog some of his creations? I have quite a few and each is so clearly the work of a master.

      Delete
    2. Such a talented artist & yes I wish we knew more about him today...A catalog would be awesome...

      Delete
    3. Wondered what happened to Dale since the El Cortez days. . . . . I have the same (top) buckle as you and have been wearing it for special occasions ever since!

      Delete
  2. I'm not aware of a catalog of his work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is currently living in Eugene Oregon. I happened to have met him today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, please tell him many greetings from Germany. It's an old friend of mine from Steve Heck warehouse back in Oakland.

    ReplyDelete